Who Should Attend?
The Calving and Neonatal Calf Care Training is an educational program for farmers, employees and agri-service people who work directly with dairy cows and calves. It will cover the physiology of calving, best practices for calving interventions, and calf care immediately after delivery and in the crucial days afterward.
The Calving and Neonatal Calf Care Training is a two-day program held two weeks apart. It will be held on-farm with a combination of presentations, demonstrations, farm walk-throughs and discussion. Each day runs from 9:30 AM to 3:00 PM. Participants can sign up for both or just one day. Registration is $75 for both days or $40 for one day. This program is eligible for FSA Borrower Credits.
DAY 1 - Care of the Cow and Calf During Calving
- Calving Assistance
- Assessing Calving Situations
- Delivery and Immediate Calf Care
DAY 2 - Caring for Neonates
- Initial Calf Care Considerations
- Medication and Supplementation (not specific protocols)
- Key Points in Sanitation
- Physical Exam of the Calf
- Methods for Medicating Calves
- Communication and Training for Successful Calf Care Program