March 29 through May 17, 2019
Who Should Attend?
... are working on a dairy farm and are looking to increase their knowledge of calf and heifer management?
... have had some formal training or course work but want a refresher on calf and heifer management?
... have been working with the farm’s calf and heifer program but want to know more about the how, what and why?
... want to improve the calf and heifer management of their herd but need to know where to start?
... want to increase the skills they bring to the farm or your farm employer?
... have been wondering where they’ll find the time to attend a course or workshop?
This course is for:
Dairy business on-farm personnel (owner or employee) seeking to increase their knowledge of calf and heifer management. Participants should possess a formal or informal background in dairy cattle management, but not necessarily in calf and heifer management.
- Calf Nutrition Pre-weaning - Dr. Mike Van Amburgh, Cornell University
- Calf Nutrition Post-weaning - Dr. Mike Van Amburgh, Cornell University
- Replacement Economics - Jason Karszes, Cornell CALS PRO-DAIRY
- Colostrum Management - Dr. Kim Morrill, Northern Country Regional Ag Team
- Inventory Management - Margaret Quaassdorff, NWNY Dairy, Livestock and Field Crops Team
- Genetics - Dr. Heather Huson, Cornell University
- Calf Health - Dr. Rob Lynch, DVM, Cornell CALS PRO-DAIRY
- Housing - Curt Gooch, PE, Cornell CALS PRO-DAIRY
How it works:
This is a seven week course offered online. Presentations for each topic are prerecorded and are accessible whenever is convenient to the participant. An optional live Q & A session with presenters will be held weekly via webinar. Corresponding assignments are due each week. To get the most out of the experience, you should expect to spend approximately 2 hours per week on the lessons and assignments. The course is offered through Moodle, an easy-to-use online interface that you’ll view through your personal computer’s web browser.
You do not receive Cornell University credit for taking the course. Rather, you will receive a certificate of completion from Cornell PRO-DAIRY.